Friday, January 25, 2013

R2D2


Since I’ve already made a Storm Trooper hat and a Princess Leia Hat (yet to blogged about), I decided I needed an R2D2 hat.  And eventually a Yoda and Boba Fett hat (look for these in future posts).  I found this pattern here at Funy Creation.  It looked fun so I bought it.  This pattern comes with a formula for sizing hats.  I haven’t tried it out, but maybe I should since this hat works up so small!!!!

I made this hat for my nephew who is about 7 months old.  I decided to go with the 12-24 month size since I crochet on the tight side and I wanted there to be room to grown.  Either the person who made this pattern crochets super loose or I crochet tighter than I thought.  I had to go up to the child size to make this thing fit and that’s with some stretch.  Geesh!

I had to do a lot of taking out stitches and starting over on this hat.  I think mostly because I didn’t print it out, I just sat at the computer to get started and then moved to the couch when I thought I knew what I was doing.  Whoops.  Part of the reason I didn’t want to print out the pattern was because it was so many pages long.  Printing out just the size I needed was not an option because each part of the hat was written separately according to size so basically you had to go through all the pages to make one hat.  Not a big deal usually, but when the pattern is like over 20 pages – yikes.  There are also lots of pictures, which usually are nice, but they add a lot of bulk to the written pattern too.

The pattern designer did an awesome job capturing the look.

I used Vanna's Choice for all the colors except the red - I used Impeccable by Loops and Threads for that.

All in all, it's a good pattern.  Just make sure you follow it to get the stitches right, but be warned about the size.  Let me know if any of you try it out.  I'd love to see how yours turn out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment